Monday, November 18, 2013

Madonna Staunton: 'Selections'


My most memorable moment of the opening of 'Mytho-Poetic' at Logan Art Gallery recently is having had the opportunity to exhibit with one of Australia's most significant collage and assemblage artists in Madonna Staunton. I first met Madonna when I was a student in Townsville and at the time was quite unaware of her work. But what I recall from our first meeting was that she was the first artist I had met with whom one had a sense that there was never any distinction between her experience of the everyday and her perceptions as an artist. Her engagement with everyday experiences and the poetic response appeared seamless. When we met again in Mackay in 2005 she strolled around my studio making the most insightful observations about the most incidental objects and surfaces...viewing this current exhibition of earlier works one can easily understand why. 'Selections' runs until early Jan.2014.



2 comments: